I love QR Codes! I mostly love how easy they are to make. I wrote about it last year (click here) but I'll recap.
There are so many QR Code generating websites out there - most of them free - but my favourite one is goQR.me. To create a text QR Code (a code that, when scanned, reveals a text message), here's how you do it.
1. Go to goqr.me.
2. Click the icon that looks like a page with the corner turned down.
3. In the text box (labelled "2. Contents") type the message you want the scanner to reveal.
4. The QR Code is displayed at the right of the screen.
5. You may choose to down load the code to your computer, or merely right click the image and copy it, then paste it into a document.
To create a QR Code that links to a website, the steps are almost the same.
1. Go to the website you wish the scanner to link to. Right click and copy the website address.
2. Go to goqr.me.
3. Click the icon that looks like the earth.
4. In the url box (labelled "2. Contents") right click and paste the website address.
5. The QR Code is displayed at the right of the screen.
There are other types of QR Codes that you can make by using this site, including a phone number, an email, a location and more!
So now you know how I made the QR Math Reflection Cubes in the image above. And, you ask, "What exactly is a QR Math Reflection Cube?" I made six cubes, each with six sides and a QR Code on each side. When scanned, a prompt for reflecting on that day's math lesson is revealed. I would use it with middle or senior years students. There are six cubes, because each cube is related to a different level of Bloom's Taxonomy. I thought I would copy each one onto a different colour card stock so that I could tell them apart.
It's true that I could have just printed the message on each side instead of pasting a QR Code. However, scanning the code offers some element of surprise, and it's fun (aka engaging!)!
I'm sharing! The download for the QR Math Reflection Cubes is below. If you use them in class, I'd love some feedback!
Travelling Curriculum Support Teacher